What a great week! I was nominated for a Sunshine Blogger Award by the wonderful Thomas over as the equally wonderful Aspiblog.
I’m not nominating anyone this time around (I still pretty tired, and I haven’t been keeping up with everyone, and so I would hate to stress someone out with a nomination. This is possibly an unfounded anxiety, but hey, that’s my brain), but I got so excited when I saw the questions, that I knew I’d have to make a post just for them!
So, here are the questions and answers, I can’t put into words how much fun answering them. If that makes me a huge nerd, so be it!
1. If you could restore one place that exists only as an archaeological site to perfect condition what would it be?
I did a lot of research trying to make a decision here. My instincts would be to say The Pyramids at Giza, because seeing the Pyramids in their shining glory would be awesome. However, I think restoring Athens would be more useful- The Parthenon, where the first Olympic Games were held, The Daphni Monastery, and The Acropolis, just to name a few. We could walk where Plato held his academy and imagine Aristotle in his Lyceum. Damn history is cool.
2. If you remove from existence one current organization which would it be?
Given the week we’ve had with multiple mass shootings, I’d say the NRA. Wait until April and it’ll be Autism Speaks, for sure.
3. What is the most amazing sporting performance you have ever witnessed?
So I’m not really a sports person…Winter Olympics aside. Actually, now that I’m thinking about the Olympics, Mirai Nagasu because the first American woman to land a triple axel, Jessie Diggins and Kikkan Randall won the USA’s first ever Cross Country gold, and Chloe Kim landed back to back 1080’s to win gold in Snowboard Halfpipe. See I know sports things! (It’s definitely not because the Olympics are a current Special Interest.)
4. Who is your favourite author of fiction?
This is an unfair question. As someone who reads upwards of 50 books a year, picking just one author is painful. So I’ve chosen not to answer this question and instead have decided to give you a variety of my favorites. So, top 10: Roald Dahl, Betty Smith, Markus Zusak, Stephen King, Orson Scott Card (even though he’s a homophobic asshole), Becky Chambers, Patrick Ness, Bill Bryson, Neil Gaiman, Phillip Pullman. I could keep going but instead will say that my comments are always open if anyone wants to rant about books.
5. Pick one word beginning with each letter of the alphabet that is particularly associated with your life.
26 letters is…a lot. Can I trade you for an acrostic of my name?
6. An alien visitor offers to give you the solution to one of humanity’s great unsolved problems: which one do you ask for?
I’d ask for a solution to the inability to act compassionately towards each other. I think if that was sorted out, a lot of other problems would be easier to solve.
7. If traveling were free, where would you like to go?
So I’m American, and I’ve never been out of the Midwest/Northeast, and definitely not to any other countries. I’d like to travel, but I’m so reliant on routines, and on things being predictable, and sensory friendly, that I’m aware it would be difficult, to say the least. That being said, there are lots of places that I’d like to see. In the US, I’d like to see California and Texas and Tennessee. The Grand Canyon and Joshua Tree National Park, and Niagara Falls. And that’s just here. I can’t name all the places I’d like to see, but I know that I’d like to start at home.
8. If you could have a dinosaur renamed in your honour which one would it be?
Tyrannosaurus Rex, because I have a big head and little arms.
9. You are able to save one music CD from the waves as you scramble ashore – what would you like to be on it? (If you want to go above and beyond and make the full eight music choices around which the actual programme is built be my guest!)
I think 8 albums is a very reasonable amount of music to last me for the rest of my life. So here we go: Everything Goes Numb by Streetlight Manifesto, Reinventing Axl Rose, by Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues by Against Me!, The Con, by Tegan and Sara, Live in London, by Regina Spektor, Les Miserables full cast recording, Dinosaur Sounds, by Catch 22, and The Moana Soundtrack.
10. Choose three books that would help you pass the time on the island (the real thing restricts castaways to one choice, giving them The Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare whether they want them or not).
I think I’ll keep the Shakespeare- I took a Shakespeare class in school and I’m quite fond of him. Plus, he’s great to read out loud, and maybe hearing my own voice would help me feel less lonely. I think I’d also bring one of Stephen King’s Epic 1200 page books, probably The Talisman or The Stand. And the last one would be The Night Circus, for sort of an odd reason. The Night Circus is a book that is very light on plot, but heavy on immersion. Whenever I read it, I find myself purposely reading slower so that I can stay in the book longer. Given that behavior, the book would last me longer than another of the same length.
11. Choose one luxury item (it should not be too useful, but I am not going to be harsh on that, and I will allow a little latitude in the matter of what the main item has with it – e.g if you select a camera, as I would, it comes with a spare battery, as well as the fully charged one that is currently in there).
So my comfort object is my phone. I need it with me all the time- not to communicate with people, but to have access to the knowledge of the entire internet. So, if there was a way to disable the phone so I couldn’t contact anyone, but I’d still have access to the internet, then that would really decrease a lot of anxiety in my post shipwreck life. (I assume it was a shipwreck, considering the probability of staying alive while crashing into an island is much better from a ship than from a plane).
Well then, that was a great way to spend an evening! I’m sorry I modified some of the questions, but I’m unable to do things exactly as asked- it’s just who I am as a person. Hopefully, after all these answers, you’ll know even more about who I am as a person!
I had a great time with these, and I encourage anyone who wants to borrow *cough*steal*cough* these and give them a go!